You *CAN* do that with PHP as CGI wrapped with suexec...  But you lose
performance, and you'll have to convince the ISP to install that as a second
mime-type with a different extension...  They'll need to read the suexec
docs at http://apache.org first and foremost.  (Doing suexec incorrectly is
quite dangerous)

Other option is to chown or chmod the files to allow nobody to do what
nobody needs to do -- Of course, that opens those files up for any other
users on the shared server to mess with, and it's probably easier for an
external hacker to gain "nobody" access than a real user.

Safety is relative.  How critical are these files, and how much do you trust
fellow users on a shared resource web-server?

You could also write some world-executable shell scripts that provide
"nobody" with very specific actions they can do to/with the files -- You
want to write that script as limited and carefully as possible so that
*ONLY* the things you want to happen can happen.

Bottom line:  Unless you go hard-core with suexec, anything you set up can
be figured out and potentially abused by any fellow users on the ISP.

--
WARNING [EMAIL PROTECTED] address is an endangered species -- Use
[EMAIL PROTECTED]