I've just been watching the posts regarding this issue.

I can see the following:

You SHOULD test it on *nix JUST to narrow down the problem.
You ask for help from all the *VERY NICE* people on this list, and then
WILL not do what they say will help???
If you do not like the php smtp implementation, then read RFC821 and
implement a better one.

Regards,

-Jason Garber
IonZoft.com