Hi!

  For the programming language, I would go with PHP over any other. Yes,
yes, there's no best language for every task, but with your C++ background
it should be easy to develop advanced techniques on PHP than on others on
short time.

  Depending from what you meant with 'background apps to update database',
you could even use Cron on Linux or At on Windows. These will run php files
for you that you can use to maintain the db.

  I've seen and played a lot of online role playing games on the last couple
years. Most were done on Perl, and it's time to develop one on PHP! :-)

  I've tried but my lack of time prevented me to continue a similar open
source project. It's was an IA game of 'life-simulation', where you would
buy a house, work, buy gear/cars/furniture/etc... Sponsors would come from
these products. It was a pretty good idea, you would be able even to get a
politics career for mayor, governor, etc... Too bad I had to stop.

  Anyway, here's a link that might help you with ideas and codes.

http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=80&discrim=183

--

Julio Nobrega

A hora está chegando:
http://toca.sourceforge.net
"Daniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Right I'm still pretty new to server side programming and have a few
> questions regarding the possible uses of existing technology in 'low-tech'
> (not 3d FPS/RTS/RPGs) online games.  As I understand it PHP is used to add
> dynamic content to HTML (from MySQL database for example) and it is also
> possible to write applications in C/C++ that run on server computer (SUSE
> 7.2 + APACHE for example) that update databases at set time intervals.  I
am
> a games programmer and was wondering if it would be possible to code the
> following system which would run on an SUSE Apache server box:
>
> An database containing client and game data (use MySQL?),
> An HTML/PHP based front end (is PHP best choice for this?),
> A Some form of application that process the game or turn info (in the DB)
at