On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:39, Chip wrote:
> On Monday 19 November 2001 15:54, David Robley wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 01:11, Chip wrote:
> > > I am setting up a new system for a friend and am getting the
> > > following error when running ./configure -
> > >
> > > /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lgd.
> > > error code 1
> > >
> > > This machine is a default install of FreeBSD4.4, Apache-1.3.22,
> > > MySQL-3.23.44 and PHP-4.0.6. I have set this same system up on
> > > several other machines and have never come across this error.
> > > What am I missing that is causing this problem?
> > > --
> > > Chip W.
> >
> > It would appear that you don't have gd on that machine, or it is not
> > where the config is expecting to find it.
>
> Well it's working now, and not because I didn't have gd installed, I
> did, do. I downloaded php-4.0.5 and ran the exact same ./configure line
> as in 4.0.6 and it installed just fine, had no problem finding
> everything. Could there be a problem in 4.0.6 I wonder?
> --
> Chip W.

FWIW Rasmus posted this about gd 2.01 and 4.0.6 a while back:

Build gd-2.0.1 with these two lines in your GD2 Makefile:

CFLAGS=-g -DHAVE_LIBPNG -DHAVE_LIBJPEG -DHAVE_LIBFREETYPE
LIBS=libgd.a -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lfreetype -lm

Don't install the lib anywhere, just leave them in the gd-2.0.1 directory.

Then build PHP using:

--with-gd=/home/<your_dir>/gd-2.0.1
--with-freetype-dir=/usr
--enable-gd-native-ttf   (note there was a typo in 4.0.6 on this one)
                        use: --enable-gd-native-tt  if you are using 4.0.6
--enable-gd-imgstrttf
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr
--with-png-dir=/usr
--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6

This assumes that you have freetype2 installed along with the libjpeg and
libpng libs under /usr

-Rasmus

--
David Robley      Techno-JoaT, Web Maintainer, Mail List Admin, etc
CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES      Flinders University, SOUTH AUSTRALIA

   "Dinna wave that axe aboot, Jimmy!" said Tom heedlessly.