I have a client that I made a image uploader/thumbnailer for
that insists on using FrontPage.  In order to make FP
happy, I need to set the owner to 'nobody' and the group
to 'site3' which are uid 99 and gid 117.  The uploaded file
is set as httpd/root and the thumbnail created by the script
comes out httpd/site3.

First I tried:

     chown($file_name, 99);
     chgrp($file_name, 117);

Next I tried:

     chown($file_name, '99');
     chgrp($file_name, '117');

This fails to get the uid or gid, so the first syntax appears
to be correct.

Finally I tried:

     chown($file_name, 'nobody');
     chgrp($file_name, 'site3');

Error message for first and third attempts is identical:

Warning: chown failed: Operation not permitted in
/home/sites/site3/web/dev/maintenance.php on line 191

Why is it 'not permitted' and how do I allow it?

-- Paul