That worked!  Thanks!

For those who may be interested, I added the following lines to my .htaccess
file:

# change some php.ini settings
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
php_flag session.auto_start off
</IfModule>

Also, this obviously only works with Apache with PHP running as a module.
Not sure if there's an equivalent option for IIS.  (if you remove the
IfModule lines from the above example and just include the php_flag line, it
should work for php compiled as a CGI, but I haven't tested that.)

--kurt