If I understand you correctly, you want to put a separator when the
letter changes.

Try this:

$result = mysql_query('select name from people order by name');
$lastletter = '';
while ($data = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
     $curletter = strtolower(substr($data['name'],0,1));
     if ($curletter != $lastletter) {
         // Put code to insert a separator here
     }
     // put code to display the name here