Hmm... can you point out to them that there's a similarity between using
an external style sheet and using header/footer includes?  And that as a
coder, it would be your responsibility to maintain these include files,
not theirs?  Personally, I think .css external style sheets are
awesome -- there's no reason I can see that they couldn't continue to
use them.  You don't need control over the .css file, and it would be
easy for you to do

<?php
echo "$stylesheet"
?>

in the include header, which gives them control over the contents of the

<?php
$stylesheet = "<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="stylesheet.css" />" ;
?>

and put this before the include() call).  Using this technique, they
don't even have to limit themselves to a single external style sheet or
even external style sheets at all -- they could make it a document-level
style sheet.

This way you each can reach a compromise about control.  Just a
suggestion.

Erik