Miles,

Thanks, now I have to just figure out how to do that stuff.  I take it
handling PHP from a remote non-PHP server is not a big issue.

The Java Applet is doing something else.  It is providing a monitoring
process to the database so a static html page and be pushed whatever content
if the database application so deems it without refreshing the html page.

:>)

"Miles Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Rick,
>
> It's amazing how one gets locked into a PHP mindset. Do all that stuff you
> outlined in your reply, but why not have a second Java applet to update a
> remote database? PHP doesn't have ownership over the database.
>
> Miles
>
> At 08:06 AM 1/7/2002 -0500, Richard Spangenberg wrote:
> >Miles,
> >
> >The reason for the javascript is that the hosting ISP does not support
PHP.

> >Each time a new session is started, the javascript would have to:
> >- check for cookie
> >-if it doesn't exist
> >         -poll database for next new custome ID#
> >         -set new cookie id
> >         -update database with page info
> >         -download java applet (does something else)
> >
> >I guess I wasn't sure if a non PHP supported domain could access the PHP
> >database from a remot   server or not and how one would do that.  I am
setting
> >things up in PHP but fairly new at it.
> >
> >Rick

[EMAIL PROTECTED]