Is there any way to force PHP 4.1's crypt to generate crypt's with
2-letter salts? We've written some apps that do things the hack way --
if (crypt($pass,substr($pass,0,2)) == $cryptpass) -- and changing all of
them to work the extended way is a real pain the arse. That includes
changing all our password generation code to create 2-letter salts.

Any help much appreciated.

In short -- I want crypt() to work like it did in 4.0.6.

Mike