Justin,

If your PHP script is placing the files there, they are owned by the 'web'
user.  The web user doesn't have permission to change the file ownership
to you, but for your purposes all you should need to do is change the file
permissions in your PHP script after the file is uploaded:

chmod($filename, 0644);

Carl