Hmm... I'm not familiar with the directory functions yet.

But perhaps you can use `ls -F` somehow -- this prints the name of each
file in the directory with a special character to denote its type.  For
directories, this is a forwardslash.  I.e:

localhost:~/Documents/Media Lab$ ls -F
(admin)index.php/                filerequest.php/
medialabproposal.txt
DBcreatefiles/                   filesSQL.txt
oldcrapfromthisproject/
DBqueryfiles/                    filespeopleSQL.txt
papercost.txt
Icon?                            mainfoot.inc
peopleSQL.txt
SQL_statements/                  mainhead.inc
temp_php/
changes(12-20)                   materialscalc.txt                to-
do.txt
dbcrit.txt                       medialab_db-dump-02-01-07/

Maybe this can be coupled with directory functions in a creative
fashion....

Good luck,
Erik