I don't think that string actually gets sent unless the browser receives a
401 Auth Required (I think that's it) header.

Even if you have that setup and put a page with phpinfo() in it you'll
notice that none of the environment variables will look like the url
you've got below.  The browser pulls that out first and sends them as
separate headers...

I think anyway...