"Is currently anyway of doing scheduled tasks with PHP (without using
crontab)? "
"What's wrong with using cron?"

I'm building an OSS  site where the PostgreSQL data base maintenance,
email sending, stats gathering, number crunching and graph plotting
needs to be automated. My target audience will need things as simple as
possible. I am under the impression that it would be a hassle and cost
more to get a web host to install a cron script for Postgres. (Or have
php as an executable binary instead of shared object.)

What I do so far is look at a serial number from a data base table. If
it is divisible by 20, I fill up a graph plotting que. If divisible by
50, another que is filled, etc. The footer has a script that checks a
table with each que status and then does does a few things out of the
highest priority que.

I figure the user will not notice a few small scripts running after all
the text is displayed. If there is a better way, let me know!!

Thanks, Jeff