This may not be what you want to do, but should give you some hints.
(This is my code which I use to simply dump any SQL table into an HTML
 table I can view in a browser ... for small tables, of course.)

Using MySQL as an example:
// assuming you ran a query and stored results in $mysql_result_set

// Get the number of fields to work with
$num_fields = mysql_num_fields( $mysql_result_set );
// http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-num-fields.php

// Print out a row of column headers
print( "<tr>" );
for( $i = 0; $i < $num_fields; $i++ ){
        $fieldName = mysql_fetch_field( $mysql_result_set, $i );
        // http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-fetch-field.php
        print( "<td>" . $fieldName->name . "</td>" );
}
print( "</tr>" );

// Print out the data from the result records
while( $record = mysql_fetch_row( $mysql_result_set ) ){
// http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-fetch-row.php
        print( "<tr>" );
        foreach( $record as $field ){
                ${$field} = $field;
                // The above is unnecessary, but answers your question.
                // It assigns a variable, named after a table column,
                //    the value of that column (in this record).
                print( "<td>${field}</td>" );
        }
        print( "<tr>" );
}

Hope that gives you something to work with.

        g.luck,
        ~Chris