On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, David Duong wrote:
> Can PHP be considered CGI?

Sometimes.

CGI is a standardized interface between web servers and backend
applications. PHP can communicate with web servers using that mechanism,
but it doesn't have to (depends on the web server in use).

I think the problem here is that you're not asking the question you think
you're asking. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you're really trying to
figure out.

> Would PHP replace Perl as the main language of CGI?

Who knows? It might. Its use is growing rapidly, and it's much easier to
learn. A few years ago the prospect would have been unthinkable, due to
the vastly greater supply of Perl CGI web apps and free libraries in
circulation. These days the advantage is not so strong. And PHP is far
better optimized for the specific task of web application development.

On the other hand, Perl is in the abstract a more powerful language. So
many programmers will continue to prefer it.

miguel