On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 10:28  AM, Daniel Alsén wrote:

> I use the variable $change to set the text size in my stylesheet:
>
> if (isset($text_size)) {echo $text_size;} else {echo "10"; $text_size =
> 10;}
>
> And i set the variable via a link:

> Now - i don´t want the variable to be visible. And i would prefer if the
> variable didn´t get set every time someone hit reload.
>
> Or am i attacking this changing-text-size-thingy the wrong way?

Hmm.  I thought that I had a clever solution for you, but I don't.  The
one that I came up with would probably be far more complex and inelegant
than you would ever want to use.  If you were submitting your data to a
database or some kind of service, then it would work (I am thinking of
the PostToHost() function in the archives), but since you are trying to
set a session variable, you really need to refresh the page in the
process.  This means that either using a form with POST data or the
querystring method that you mention above is really the best way to do
it.

If you used a form with POST data, you'd probably want to use radio
buttons or make a little listbox and a submit button, like:

<form method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">
<select name="change">
  <option value="inc">Increase Size</option>
  <option value="dec">Decrease Size</option>
</select>
</form>

This would keep your querystring/URL free of extra data like
"page.php?change=inc".

Erik

----

Erik Price