[snip]
Are you actually sending an excell file, or just data that you expect excell
to format? If your sending a file, then you have to create the grid lines
there. These are HTTP headers that you are talking about, they wouldn't have
any control over excell data.
[/snip]

Nope, it's not an Excel file. It is a PHP file imitating an Excel file,
calling data from the DB and generating the worksheet on-the-fly. I want the
gridlines to display and was hoping that there was something I could put in
the PHP page to make sure that this happens.  I am delivering HTML table(s)
to Excel for parsing, which it does just fine....uh oh...I feel an idea
coming on....let me try adding a border="1" to the table tag....that works!

Thanks for wording it differently, I saw it in a different light and the
answer cam upon me like a Monday morning lightning strike.

Jay Blanchard