Hey,
Why dont you just add a link to a script and validate it like that?
eg:
Click below to confirm you email id
http://yoursite.tld/confirm.php?[EMAIL PROTECTED]&confirmno=5675678

Once you get the confirm id and no just check it within your database and
flag it as true.
Simple.

I have been using the above example for years....though not in PHP, but i'm
sure it will work.

Cheers,
-Ryan

/*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.*/