I want to thank everyone for their help.  I finally found the right
expression.  I needed to start at the end of the string and work backwards.
STRRCHR did the trick for me.  I was able to use:

 $match = substr(strrchr($string1, ">"), 1 );
 echo $match;

I'm actually not sure what role the last "1" has in the above expression,
but it works so I'm not gonna complain.  But if anyone wants to explain it
to me, that's wonderful.  The info for STRRCHR at php.net is a tad light to
say the least on this particular function.  Thanks again.

....Brad