René,

My 10 cents:

For a monthly fee, host sites and promote your software (and updates) as
part of the service.  Or, sell the software and offer upgrades at a price.
This option isn't as attractive though.  It's much more expensive upfront
and means the customer will have to deal with managing the system.  Your
hosting service provides a way to spread the cost over an extended period of
time in a hassle free manner.

Offer free support for recent versions and charge to support older versions.
As a result, one benefit of upgrading is free support and it's much easier
for you to manage.  Managing multiple sets of code can become a major
headache.

Remember, sometimes it's wise to ask for more money up front if it means
you'll be there when customers need support.

Yes, MySQL can fetch data over the Internet.  You'll want to research ways
of encrypting this data, but typically it's just an issue of specifying
which server is the database server when using the mysql_connect function.

-Ed

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to
whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are
not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended
addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or
distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the
message.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you very
much.