Most questions like this depend more on your ability to think creatively
than your experience with PHP, so don't let inexperience discourage you
from exploring on your own.

First, decide what you consider to be "online" exactly. If I, for
example, requested a page 30 seconds ago, you would probably consider me
to be online, even though I could theoretically have closed my browser
and gone to dinner since then.

If you're familiar with using a database, consider using the PHPSESSID
(look into PHP sessions for more information on this) as a primary key
in a table where the timestamp is kept and updated on each page request.
To determine who is online, you could simply run a query on this table
using your threshhold of idle time that you've determined to count as
online.

There are plenty of different ways to approach this, and my
early-morning example is probably not the best. Hopefully it gives you
an idea though of what you need to accomplish.

Chris