This seems to be the question of the question of the week. No, there are
no application level variables in PHP. You can set constants, either
through your web server, or maybe PHP.ini, but that's about it.

I think the easiest way to implement something like this would be to use
the auto_append_file and auto_prepend_file settings of PHP.ini. Make
that file load the application variables from the database, and the
prepend file saves any changes...

---John Holmes...