Hi Justin,

Thx again for the answer.

Justin French wrote:

> Well, you really need to check out a decent article/tutorial on sessions,

Nah, I think I explain my question a little wierd and that's why you don't
understand me... I've worked with sessions lots of times (although mostly
in Java Servlets). Or something must be really crooked with my knowledge of
standard sessions...

> because it's a lot more in depth than can possible be explained here.  But
> as a bare minimum, each page would need to call session_start() BEFORE the
> <HTML> tag or any other content is sent to the browser.

Ah yes, I forgot about that... I need to resume the session, of course.
Would session.auto_start set to 1 work without these session_start()'s? The
thing is, I need as less as possible of a hassle to have the sessions
work... Read on for an explanation.

> You'd also need to register variables to the session (otherwise what's the
> point?)
>
> What is the session to be used for?

Well... For a shopping-cart actually :)

But not the "standard" kind. I'm building a set of components that a
webdesigner can use easily, without actually understanding how the code
works. The webdesigner (my customer) wants to build a site where his
customers can browse to some products and put them in their shopping-cart
with simple code. Something like:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
  bla bla..
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H1>Buy this product!</H1>
<P>bla bla</P>
<?php
  include("functions.php");
  makeBuyButton("black shoes, size 34");
?>
</BODY>
</HTML>

I do the work with the variables and all, he only needs to make sure
everything looks fine. I used to do this with Cookies, but they're evil :)
Besides, a session-solution a much prettier :) I want to know if the
session is maintained if he makes use of the components and has all his
files extend on .php, when I have --enable-trans-sid on and (as noted in
this mail) session.auto_start.

I think this would work? I made a test-site locally, but I need to know the
exact options that make this work, so I can inform the provider what to
change (very helpful chaps over there, just don't know sh*t about PHP).

--
Kind regards,
Tim