I have had "inconsistency" issues when outputing diffrent content-types
to IE. It seems to cache the type for a articular file somewhere and
deleting temporary files in the usaer agent is no good. I have to
shut-down all instances of IE then re-launch it for it to behave like
it is supposed to _consistently_

If I were you, I would just let IE make up it's mind about the file
based on it's file extension (it seems to do this automatically based
on it's OS settins which are tied into the browser's mime-types). Of
course, people may not have excel installed so it won't know what to do
with "Content-type: application/msexcel"

If you're trying to exact control over the situation, you're begging
for pain.

[TK]