On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:32:57 -0600, you wrote:

>I've looked on php.net, phpbuilder.com, and zend.com, but to no avail.
>Any suggestions?

I don't know of any articles, but I'm actually working on a project
that is exactly what you are talking about.  I'm going to code the
signup interface in PHP, but the email scripts are going to be written
in Perl.  I've found a nice, simple mailing list script called
"Minimalist" that I am going to use to handle the email-based
confirmation part of the project.  Maybe it can help you too:

http://www.mml.org.ua/

Feel free to email me if you want to trade some ideas. :-)