Taken straigh from the manual:
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php)

[quote]
There are two methods to propagate a session id:

- Cookies

- URL parameter

The session module supports both methods. Cookies are optimal, but since
they are not reliable (clients are not bound to accept them), we cannot rely
on them. The second method embeds the session id directly into URLs.

PHP is capable of doing this transparently when compiled with
--enable-trans-sid. If you enable this option, relative URIs will be changed
to contain the session id automatically. Alternatively, you can use the
constant SID which is defined, if the client did not send the appropriate
cookie. SID is either of the form session_name=session_id or is an empty
string.
[/quote]

Regards
Joakim Andersson