hmm... seems a MySQL topic.
I suppose that your table is filled with correct data at some other
point. So what you need is a count query that returns
*one* result and not all records in that table. You do not want a
*while* loop in your PHP script, because that would show a list of
unique ips. So my gues would be:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT IP) AS ips FROM ma_counter");
$ips = mysql_fetch_row($result);
pintf("Visitors = %d",$ips);

Disclaimer: code not tested. You might want to check the MySQL manual
for syntax details of the query.

Good luck

René