John,

You made one comment which is caught my attention:

> that's a no go :(  Or is there a way of storing common query results?

If the results to a commonly called query are the same for a time period,
than why don't you right a routine that just stores the results into a new
database that also has a results_expired field.  Then, everytime the results
are request, you can write a function which checks to see if the results are
still valid, if they are, it displays them, if not, it requeries...

i.e.

function getresults($common_query)
{
  $query="SELECT results,TIMESTAMP(expired) as dt_expired FROM storedqueries
WHERE query=$common_query";
  $results=mysql_fetch_object(mysql_query($query)) or error_handler();

  if($results->expired <=time())
  {
    //rebuild long slow query and exectue it so that $results has the result
of the new query and $query is the query
   $update_query="INSERT INTO storedqueryies (query,results,expired) VALUES
($query,$results->results,[expired_time)
   mysql_query($update_query) or error_handler();
  }

  return $results->results;

}