From: Zeev Suraski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: August 4, 2002 10:55 AM
To: Acer
Cc: Justin French; php
Subject: RE: [PHP] Re: Protect PHP coding

Just a couple of facts:

1.  If Zend did not exist, PHP 4 wouldn't have existed, at least not in any
way similar to what PHP 4 looks like today.  FYI, with PHP 3, it was
impossible to write accelerators, encoders, debuggers and whatnot.

2.  Zend published its value-add software *2 years* ago, when it was really
innovative.  The fact some of its key products were since copied by the
freeware community doesn't mean that they would have existed in the first
place.

An opinion:

Like others pointed out, your assertion that in order to use PHP in a
production environment you HAVE to have an encoder or an accelerator is
ridiculous.  If I gave you a set of patches that doubles the speed of PHP,
but offer a commercial product that quadruples it, you'd still be pissed
and say that you HAVE to pay in order to use PHP in a production
environment, wouldn't you?

And finally, another fact:

There are 3 million PHP based web sites in the world.  Only a fragment of
them use accelerators or encoders, and you know something?  They're doing
pretty darn well.

Zeev