Appreciate the feedback, but.....

The .htaccess approach appears to fit my situation best; but, I've not
been able to get it to work.

I have a folder with a php script and that folder has several
sub-folders each with a small configuration script.  I'd like the entry
point to be a subfolder and main script [in the parent folder] to be
"symbolically" executed.

I'm familiar with the DirectorIndex and use it often, but only for
defining the default file for the particular folder.

Could I be doing something wrong? Or is there another htaccess directive
  that may work?

Thanks.........