I have been trying to figure out the best way to resize photo quality images
to thumbnail size and have them come out looking good. I have read about the
function " <http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagecreatetruecolor.php>
imagecreatetruecolor()" and it looks like it may do this. However I do not
have GD 2 installed which is required for this function to work. In the
process of trying to figure out how to install GD v2 I came across the
following page.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php
<http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php>

On this page is says;

 "Since PHP 4.3 there is a bundeled version of the GD lib. This bundeled
version has some additional features like alpha blending and should be used
in preference to the external library since it's codebase is better
maintained and more stable."

I thought the most recent version of php was 4.2.2?

Anyway if there is a better way to resize images to create "high quality"
thumbnails I would love to hear about it. I am on a redhat 7.3 server and
not very familiar with linux. I would prefer not to have to take the time
involved in learning how to install new packages right now, but realize this
may be unavoidable.

Thanks in advance for any help.