You have be a little clearer.  What do you want to return on true?

a) the card number appears to be numerically valid
b) the card has enough credit left on it to place the order

I'll assume A.

You need to decide what cards are going to be accepted, and look for a class
or set of functions which validate that number as numerically valid, given a
certain TYPE of card.  Ie, VISA's numeric specs for a valid looking card
number, will be different to others.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a class on phpclasses.org

Justin