Maybe you should assign the query to is's own value doing your string
concatenation...

i.e.
$query = "select * ...";

then echo out the query:
echo $query;

I think you will see the problem them, I would guess that when you are adding
the table_prefix to the table name that you are getting an extra space in
there...
So, try that out, and see if it helps
-Brad