On September 11, 2002 07:57, Dave Rosenberg wrote:
> I'm not sure this is possible, but here's what I'd like to do:
> I know that in order for a set of records from MySQL to display in
> numerical order on a web page, you need to make the column type
> "Integer," but here's my situation:
>
> I'm creating a database of contracts that my organization has.
> Normally, there is a dollar amount on these contracts, and I'd like to
> be able to sort by that value (therefore the Integer column type).
> However, we have some fee-based contracts, and I'd like a way to display
> the amount as "Fee Based" even though I can't enter this in the database
> because of the column type.  Is there a way in PHP to have it display
> this although with some kind of if/then statement or something of that
> sort?
>
> Contract A  Fee-based
> Contract B      70000
> Contract C       1250
> Contract D      50000

  Hi Dave,

  You can also do this in your SQL query.

  For example:

  If your table contains this:
    +----------+---------+
    | contract | amount  |
    +----------+---------+
    | Jillco   | 1000000 |
    | Jackco   |   10000 |
    | ChrisInc |    NULL |
    +----------+---------+

  The the following select:

    SELECT contract, IFNULL(amount, "Fee Based") amount FROM contracts;

  will return:
        Jillco          1000000
        Jackco  10000
        Chrisinc        Fee Based

Cheers!
- --
Zak Greant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
MySQL Community Advocate

Feed the Dolphin! Order MySQL support from the MySQL developers at
https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mzgr

"Gosh, Batman! The nobility of the almost-human porpoise." --Robin