Yes, right.  Although the prefixes (07xxx) are initially allocated to specific
providers, the UK has full number portability, which means that a user can change
service providers and keep their original number -- several times, if they so wish!
This is partially in response to an EC directive, so you'll have the same problem
EC-wide eventually.

And, in any case, each UK provider has a large number of prefixes allocated, not in
any particular sequence, so the best you could do given a provider would be to offer a
drop-down of all the possible prefixes.  If you *really* want to know the full gory
details, you can download the allocations list from
http://www.oftel.gov.uk/ind_info/numbering/s7.xls, but a (very) short extract gives,
for example:

07780        Vodafone
07781        Guernsey Telecoms
07782        Hutchison
07785-07789  Vodafone
07790-07792  Orange
07795-07796  Vodafone
077977-8     Jersey Telecoms
07798-07799  Vodafone
07800        Orange
07801-07803  O2
07808-07809  O2

In the US it's even worse, I think, as I believe it's still the case that mobile
numbers are allocated out of the regular numbering space, so each provider has
prefixes allocated for each geographic area code in which they operate.

All in all, I guess this is a very long-winded way of saying "don't even bother
trying"!

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]