I read in here once or twice that it's worth worrying about at the 1000's
mark, not 100's.

However, hashing them into years (/2002/), or categories (/sports/), or
alphabetically (/a/, /b/, /c/), or by author might prove beneficial froma
content management point of view.  Then logical end choice you make will
depend on your site, and how people use it.

For the amount of articles you're talking about, you'd definitely only need
one level of hashing.

Justin