There's got to be a better way to go about this: I am constantly doing mysql
queries where I am doing
a count(), so a sample query would be like this: "select count(*) from
database".  I'm expecting only
ONE value back exactly, and that's the count results.  However, to get this
data into a variable, i'm
having to write code like this:

$result = mysql_query("select count(*) from database", $db);
$myrow = mysql_fetch_row($result);
$staticvar += $myrow[0];

$staticvar will never be an array, it's just a simple variable storing a
number.  I *could* do it like this:

$result = mysql_query("select * from database", $db);
$staticvar += mysql_num_rows($result);

However, the mysql query will be much, much slower if I do it like this.

Basically, what I'm asking, is how to do something like:

$staticvar += mysql_fetch_row($result);

I want to eliminate step two, and I don't want to involve any temporary
arrays when there's always just one
value.  Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!