I use the following function to do this...

function countRecords($query, $dbcon=0) {
    if ($dbcon==0) { $ dbcon = connDbase(); }
    $query = "SELECT COUNT(*) ".$query;
    $res = mysql_query($query, $ dbcon);  // Query DB.
    return mysql_result($res, 0, "count(*)");
}

Here's how it's used:

$count = countRecords("FROM mydb WHERE id = 1001");

All I have to do is provide the query starting with FROM as the function
creates the SELECT COUNT(*) part. Also, the optional second parameter is to
pass the database connection resource ID to the function if I've already
established one before calling this function. This prevents the function
from having to establish a second DB connection for the count. If the second
param is left empty then a DB connection will be made using another
function: connDbase().

$count will contain the number of records that match the query and only
requires me to type one line of code.

Monty