Hello,

"Petre Agenbag" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
> I'm wondering if something like this will be possible.
>
> I am correct in thinking that POST and GET data are sent as plain text?

Not always. (POST -> SSL)

> And, that being plain text, they should probably be highly compactable
> by zip utils?

Not really sure how you can do this...

> The reason I'm thinking this route is that I have a couple of forms for
> some client websites that are particularly large, some of the POST data
> sent are more than 2 MB, but obviously it can vary depending on the
> amount of data entered by the user ( I cannot limit this, as these forms
> are assessment forms, and they need to contain all relevant info,
> regardless of size ).
> All fields are text fields.

2MB of TEXT? If my calculation is correct hat would be over 2 million
characters! I'm sure you can limit the size depending on when and where they
enter "relevant info".

> So, what happens now is that for some users on slow connections, these
> forms can either take years or they simply time out every time.

I'm afraid so...

> Being a specific application with controlled number of users, I wouldn't
> think it bad practise to force the user to install a "zip" package on
> his pc; that's to say if it would be possible to write some client side
> script (JS?) that will receive the form data, zip it, then send the

I don't think this is possible.

> zipped packet via POST or GET as per usual to the server, where, upon
> receipt, the POST package is "unzipped" and the handled as per usual.

How?

> Would something like this be possible or feasible at all? Are there
> other better ways to accomplish this?

I think it'd be better to divide your form(s) in different sections and POST
data in smaller units. Or, perhaps, you can just ask them to (1) create a
text file (better if it's XML) then (2) zip it if it's big and then (3)
upload them to the server.

Then, perhaps, you can write a script that would parse the file and do
whatever is needed. (Unzip it first if necessary.)

Just an idea...

- E