Try looking in the manual for register_globals. It's a setting in
php.ini that determines whether server variables are registered as
regular variables or not. The material you have probably expects it to
be turned on, whereas in more recent versions it has been turned off.
It's considered a potential security issue.

Marco
--
php|architect - The magazine for PHP Professionals

Come visit us at http://www.phparch.com!

--- Begin Message ---
I'm running PHP 4.2.3 as an Apache Module

When I try to use $PHP_AUTH_USER it returns nothing.  But if I print out
$_SERVER["PHP_AUTH_USER"] it prints the user name I tried.

All of the sample code and books that I have use the $PHP_AUTH_USER.
Can anyone give me some insight on what the difference is?

Ray