Uh, no.  That makes it think it's a constant, which generates a notice.

Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

Don't use quotes around the array index inside a quoted string.

-Rasmus

On 10 Nov 2002, Ray Seals wrote:

The fact that tutorials are outdated & using old code is not a good reason
to stick with it :)

I agree totally.

So I'm trying to use the $_Server variables but I continue to get this
error:

Parse error: parse error, expecting 'T_STRNG' or 'T_VARIABLE' or
'T_NUM_STRING' in <blah, blah, blah> on line 33.

Here is the script that is doing this:

<?php

// File Name: auth04.php
// Check to see if $PHP_AUTH_USER already contains info

if (!isset($_SERVER["PHP_AUTH_USER"])) {

// If empty, send header causing dialog box to appear

header('WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="My Private
Stuff"');
header('HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized');
exit;

} else if (isset($_SERVER["PHP_AUTH_USER"])) {

// If non-empty, check the database for matches
// connect to MySQL

mysql_connect("hostname", "username", "password")

or die ("Unable to connect to database.");

// select database on MySQL server

mysql_select_db("dev_i2ii_com")
or die ("Unable to select database.");

// Formulate the query

$sql = "SELECT *
FROM users
WHERE username='$_SERVER["PHP_AUTH_USER"]' and
password='$_SERVER["PHP_AUTH_PW"]'";

// Execute the query and put results in $result

$result = mysql_query($sql);

// Get number of rows in $result. 0 if invalid, 1 if
valid.

$num = mysql_numrows($result);

if ($num != "0") {
echo "<P>You're authorized!</p>";
exit;

} else {

header('WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="My
Private Stuff"');
header('HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized');
echo 'Authorization Required.';
exit;

?>

The data base stuff hasn't been put in yet, I'm just trying to get the
script to load cleanly before I trouble shoot the database connector
side.

Ray