As this is the industry I am in, maybe I can offer a few hints/suggestions to
start you on your way:

start with the database
  - is your user table built (how much information about the user do you need) ?
  - are you validating the incoming email address (sending an email to confirm
    entry) ?
  - are you using a seperate table for storing their selection information ?
    - yes, are you storing transactions (logging changes) ?
    - no, what happens if they want more than one team ?
  - do you have your rules for your game planned out (deadlines, team size,
    salary cap) ?
  - do you have a support methodology prepared ?

I can answer some generalized questions about methodology of the game (so as
not to violate my employment agreement), and some general programming issues
that you may have.

ps. Just to give you an idea, we maintain a staff of programmers, support
commisioners and system administrators (about 35 people), not to mention
accounting, advertising and graphic development, to run about 40-50 games a
year, including games for USA Today, Excite/iWon and Tops.  This development
has been over 10 years going.  What I am trying to get at is, are you trying to
make a friendly 'office league' type interface for your friends, or are you
trying to make something alot bigger?  Be prepared for everything you could
potentially need for a large operation (did I mention legal department?).

Michael Geier
CDM Sports, Inc. Systems Administration
   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   phone: 314.991.1511 x 6505