> > Some ideas so far (that will probably betray my ignorance :): - updating
> > images will require write access that may introduce security issues?
>
> Security issues will prevent you from reading or writing any files that
> your PHP process doesn't have permissions for.  In my experience, the only
> reliable way to do this is by using FTP using the username and password that
> the user will (presumably) give you.

But that's scary for the user (granting some company access to your
server???). Isn't there another way? I was thinking I could keep crucial
function libraries in a database (not sure if that is possible??) and
then just update them like that, no write access hassles. Can that be
done? Can you keep your functions in a database and "include" them from
there?
Peter