How about:

That's the way the language designers did it, and there's LOTS of PRODUCTION code out
there that uses it.

See also the precedence of PERL.

LER

--On Tuesday, November 12, 2002 16:40:46 -0500 "Jonathan Rosenberg (Tabby's Place)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In an earlier message, Marco Tabini [mailto:marcot@;inicode.com] saidf ...

If I can venture a comment, what you think
"clutters" the code others may find a quick and
easy way to identify a variable in it.
I guess this could be true.  But I don't understand why someone would need
an "easy" way to identify variables?  Why not an easy way to identify
function names?  Or constants?

In any case, I don't recall anyone complaining that they had trouble
"identifying variables" in C, C++, Modula, Pascal, Java, etc.

Marco
--
JR

Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]