I don't think cURL is very intuitive.
Can you at least echo a response code from your
function, such as

$res = curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL,
 "https://partners.netledger.com/SmbXml";);
echo $res;
That should at least tell you, if nothing else, that
you could successfully get into the service. If it's a
success, should return a 1, I think.

GR