Both databases work well for what they are intended to do.

Either database will have good basic performance, however PostgreSQL has
had more advanced features and stability in the past some of which MySQL
has worked on gaining.

Last I heard there was still issues with complex operations and table
locking with MySQL (I don't use MySQL anymore).

If you use persistent connections PostgreSQL performance will equal, be
greater than or slighly less than MySQL performance (depending on what
you are doing).

There are also other database choices available for example Firebird
(open source version of Interbase), and many others.

Asking what is the best database generally is an answer that can't
easily be answered, especially on mailing lists without causing
enthusiastic believers of a database to become over stimulated.

You should take into consideration what databases are available to you,
are you using your own server so you have (near) total control, are you
using shared hosting so are limited by what your hosting provider
supplies?

Additionally consider the ability for the database to scale, ease of
management, support, and documentation quality.

Both PostgreSQL and MySQL have excellent online help communities and
both have excellent documentation.

With that said, for my purposes I prefer PostgreSQL, I like the
performance and the stability I have seen from PostgreSQL, I develop
intranet applications that need to do complex reporting while providing
data entry services at the same time.

Weigh everyones opinions, also consider deploying both and doing some of
your own testing to see which will work best for you, it takes a while
but it will give you more concrete information.

Jason