Actually you should be able to get mcrypt working with PHP on Windows
(mcrypt is not distributed with PHP because of the legal issues
surrounding exporting encryption).

If you visit the PHP manual page for mcrypt at
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mcrypt.php you will see the following
under Requirements:

Windows users will find all the needed compiled mcrypt binaries here
(http://ftp.proventum.net/pub/php/win32/misc/mcrypt/).

You should be able to add this as a php extension in your windows
php.ini file and then mcrypt functions should be available to you under
windows, there is no need to use other software.

I'm glad to see mcrypt support for windows because it finally allows me
to use my favorite PHP encryption library between both platforms.

Jason