> Hi,
>
>   I'm planning to build a web album for my digital photographs, and have
> some questions regarding the design:
>
>   1) Is it better to store the images within the database, or just store
> pointers to the images which is put outside, in the filesystem?

IMHO, store a link of "pointer" to the images

>   2) At log in, I want to show to which albums new pictures have been added
> since last visit. For performance reasons, should information about last
> added pictures be added to the database, or is it ok to make a MySQL-query
> each time, comparing the add-date for every picture in every album with the
> users last log in date?

How often will this get hit?  If often you could also update a string in a test
file the same time you do your database/album updates.  But a huge traffic is
not a cause for concern you should be able to safely execute a query every time
to find out the lastest pictures/albums updated.

>   3) If I've understood things right, there is functions within PHP that
> can handle picture resizing? Is that correct?

Yes, some good tutorials out there.  I don't know about internal PHP functions,
I often just call ImageMagik from inside my php script to re-size my images,
but I'm sure there are plenty of ways...

HTH
-brad