> >Thanks for your response but I don't think this is what I was asking; could
> >be wrong though.
> >
> I re-read your post and, of course, you are right. I mis-read it! I have
> heard of this Back button and data missing and I'm sure its come up
> before, but I don't remember the answer. I can only suggest looking in
> the archives, I'm afraid.

This doesn't have anything to do with PHP.  Whether or not a form will be
populated or not after hitting the back button completely depends on
whether or not the browser decided to cache that page or not.  By default,
a page served up by PHP will not be cached.  You can make it cacheable by
sending an appropriate cache-control header.  However, in this case I
think you said that the page was not even a PHP one, just static HTML in
which case it should have gotten cached.  Have a look at the HTTP headers
the page generates.

-Rasmus